Banking data: S&P Global Market Intelligence
Standard and Poor's Global Market Intelligence platform provides data on financial markets, banks and financial institutions worldwide. Coverage includes financial statements, ownership information, market analysis, filings, mergers and acquisitions' data and sectoral news. An Excel add-in (EUI desktops) can be used for the selection and elaboration of variables, geographical coverage and time series.
The top search-box locates information on S&P financials; corporate structure; key developments; people (titles/roles); ownership; estimates; takeover defense and corporate governance.
In November 2017, S&P introduced changes to the platform, including:
- 'Transactions' was formerly 'Mergers & Acquisitions'
- 'Securities Summary' was formerly 'Capital Structure'
- 'Market Data' now includes interest rate derivatives, repo rates and indices.
Users can set up news alerts via the 'News' tab in the top-bar > 'My News.'
S&P Global Market Intelligence (formerly known as SNL Financial) is published by Standard and Poor's.
- Data coverage for European banks is up to 15 years
- Coverage for North America is up to 30 years
- Data coverage for banks in emerging markets averages five years.
- User guides, webinars and Excel add-in instructions are available on the S&P Global Market Intelligence platform (EUI members should first create a login, below).
- An overview of the platform is at this link
- Banking sector data is introduced at this link
- A virtual tour - explaining the November 2017 enhancements - is at this link.
|First time EUI users of S&P Global Market Intelligence
||Returning EUI users of S&P Global Market Intelligence
- Go to the S&P Global Market Intelligence proxied link in the EUI Library catalogue
- When the S&P homepage opens, click the 'Register' tab
- Enter an EUI mail account
- An activation message is sent to the EUI address
- Open the email and click on the link
- Complete the registration form
- A second link is sent by email
- Click on the link and set a password
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions by ticking in the box provided
- Complete the registration process. Under Profile, choose the first (Banking Sector-Focused User) and under Industry, choose 'Banking'
- Click Next
- A new screen opens and requests various preferences such as time-zone and topics.
- Go to the S&P Global Market Intelligence proxied link
- When the S&P homepage opens, click the 'Sign In' tab
- Enter the EUI mail and the password used at registration.
Example of European banking data download
- Click Apps at top left of the S&L homepage
- Select Screener (last in drop-down menu)
- Make selections:
- Geography > (eg.) ‘Europe’ at right dropdown menu
- Industry > ‘Banking’
- Operating status > ‘Operating companies’ and/or ‘Acquired/defunct companies’
- Ownership status > ‘Listed’ and/or ‘Non-Listed’
- Coverage depth > ‘Full’ and/or ‘Summary’
- Consolidation status > ‘Consolidated’ or ‘Unconsolidated’
- Click Run screen.
Excel 'short-cut' to S&P Global Market Intelligence
S&P Global Market Intelligence can also be accessed directly from the Excel ribbon on EUI desktops.
S&P Office is an Excel add-in that allows users to download data directly from S&P Global Market Intelligence into MS Excel workbooks.
- Open Excel from Start > Programmes on an EUI desktop computer
- Click on the 'SNL' tab at the upper right of the top menu.
Managing news alerts
The S&P Global Market Intelligence platform generates daily news alerts. These alerts are generated from the profile selections made during registration (sectoral interests, geographical location &c.).
To update - or discontinue - news alerts:
- Go to News in the top-bar of the S&P homepage
- Go to Alerts at right of page
- Select / de-select:
- Basic information: sector / geographical region
- News and Industry research filters
- Documents and Filings filters
- Events filters
- Transcripts filters
- Key Developments filters
- Click Save.
(EUI members who set up alerts before October 2017 - can change those alerts via 'Account Settings' at upper right of the top-bar > 'Classic Alerts'.)
Related EUI data resources
EUI members also have access to these related databases (full list on the Library Data Portal):
- Datastream (Thomson Reuters) global financial and macroeconomic platform covering equities, stock market indices, currencies, company fundamentals, fixed income securities and key economic indicators for 175 countries and 60 markets
- Global Financial Data Finaeon (GFD Corp.) providing long-range financial data series on stocks, bonds, bills and other instruments, covering approximately 200 countries from the medieval period to present.
- Amadeus (BvD / Moody's Analytics) database of comparable financial and business information on Europe's largest 522,000 public and private companies by total assets. 43 countries are covered.
EUI members can access S&P Global Market Intelligence off campus.
Non-EUI members to do not have access to S&P Global Market Intelligence.
Contact: Thomas Bourke at firstname.lastname@example.org