Date/Time: Monday 14 April 2014 09:00 - 16:30
Tuesday 15 April 2014 09:00 - 12:00
Speaker: Ralph Carstens (IEA Data Processing and Research Center)
Location: Theatre, Badia Fiesolana
The goals of the workshop are to familiarize participants with the statistical complexities involved in using international large-scale assessment databases such as PIAAC, the data structure of PIAAC, and software currently available to take into account statistical and data complexities of the PIAAC database.
This workshop will provide an overview of the structure and contents of PIAAC database, as well as an overview of the main design features of the survey that are relevant for the analysis of their data. The topics covered include the following:
- Overview of PIAAC and available data
- Review of the background questionnaires
- Sampling design and variance estimation
- Assessment design, principles of item response theory, and multiple imputations
- Using the IEA IDB Analyzer and ETS PIAAC Data Explorer to analyze data
- Evaluating statistical significance with complex designs, independent and dependent samples, and composite statistics
Participants of the workshop are expected to have basic knowledge of statistical analysis techniques and should bring their own laptop computer if they wish to participate in hands-on activities. Versions of the software for any hands-on will be distributed to the participants during the workshop. A version of MS Excel, MS Word, and Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader are needed to view files generated by the PIAAC Data Explorer. SPSS 15 or higher is required to use the IDB Analyzer.
Contact: Alina Maria Vlad (EUI) - Send a mail
Organiser: Hans Peter Blossfeld (EUI)
Organized and financed by: the European Research Council within the framework of the eduLIFE project.